Svetlana Khorkina from Russia wins an unprecedented third world all-around title of the 28th Women's Worlds and her 10th title in her career, more than any other before! Carly Patterson from USA wins the silver medal in her first world championships,
and the Chinese Zhang Nan get the bronze, the first ever world all-around medal for China.
The Ukrainian Irina Yaritska came on fourth place, followed by Elena Gomez (ESP) on fifth and the best Romanian Oana Ban on sixth place....
'QUEEN KHORKINA' and her followers: Zhang, Nan (CHN) and Carly Patterson (USA) (C) Photos by Tom Theobald
The Queen is alive! Long live the Queen!
- by Vera Atkinson / GBR, for FIG First Rotation:
- Zang Nan (China) 9.700 for phenomenal Beam routine and she topes the field of 24 gymnasts. Second rotation:
- Carly Patterson (USA) takes the leadership over after steady and difficult Beam routine (9.612).
- Zhang moves back in second (9.412, steps after tumbling on Floor);
- Current twice World champion Khorkina (Russia)- impeccable on U.Bars (9.663), comes ahead from seventh into third position. The Ukraine (Yarotska in fourth) and Spain (Gomez in fifth), ahead of Romania- unheard of, but this competition had produced faults from even the best.
- Patterson on Floor, 9.573- keeps the leadership.
- Khorkina- a mind-blowing difficulty on Beam- 9.475 and she swaps places with Zhang (9.250 on Vault). Last rotation:
- Zhang- performs first from the three potential medallists- two mistakes on U.Bars (close to the higher bar after a release-and catch element and bending her knees in a handstand position on the lower bar) but still manages 9.262
- What a climax! Khorkina receives standing ovations for her very artistic Floor routine (not a single difficulty spared)- 9. 675
This competition had everything could the remarkable Russian once again mount the podium in the first place. It rested with Carly Patterson from the USA to produce 9.45 with the last exercise of the competition the Vault..
Never has a scoreboard been so carefully and closely scrutinised, but with a 9.7 Start Value Carly had to be perfect. Not so and (a step after the landing) and THE QUEEN reigns on.
What can one say about Khorkina?
She is udoubtly still the best and most beautiful gymnast who possesses extreme beauty and a mind of steel! Her third World All-around title (after Lausanne’97 and Ghent’01) is a new record for the World of Gymnastics.
Since the first World Championships for Women held in 1934, only Vlasta Dekanova, (TCH) in 1934 and 1938, Larissa Latinina (USSR) in 1958 and 1962 and Ludmila Turischeva (USSR) in 1970 and 1974, have managed to win two World titles.
Another best achievement ever Anaheim will be remembered with, is the first World All-around medal for China- Bronze for Zang Nan. V.Atkinson, FIG
QUOTES of Svetlana Khorkina, Russia
...On her reaction to winning: Svetlana : “I went to wash my hands and when I came back, it was done. My coach told me I had won. I didn’t think I could do it, but I did.”
“When I’m competing I try to express myself from my heart. I feel so empty [because I gave] all my heart to the crowd.”
...On Russia’s performance: Svetlana : “I was very angry all week, but not tired.”
...On event finals: Svetlana : “I am queen of the uneven bars and I do not know what is going on here.”
...On her third World title: Svetlana : “This World Championship is very important to me. It will be the last for me. I will go to Athens, but this is my last Worlds.” (source: website of host